Thursday, August 30, 2007

Conference in Thailand

All right...the conference in Thailand was awesome...I mean, with 30 crazy teens all in the same hotel, all hanging out with each other pretty much all the time...how can you not have fun? Pretty much every morning we all woke up...or most of us woke up, and those that didn't were forcibly got up...headed down to breakfast and then went to the "Cave" (I think it was like a nightclub or something...but the youth did their stuff there) and listened to one of the youth leaders explain a spiritual discipline to us (fairly interesting, though I still haven't read the book I was supposed to...). And then after that was finished we generally meandered around for a while, got lunch, went swimming or some such interesting activity, and then around 2 or so we headed back to the cave for another lesson. This lesson was generally more interesting, not as serious, and didn't last as long. When it finished we headed to supper, and then messed around doing various random things. At around seven we headed to the cave again, had yet another lesson, but fortunately, when that one finished at nine we had 3 hours to play games, make loads of noise, and just generally be crazy. Okay...that was the general overview...now some specifics.
The second night I was there, I got to play Slap-happy. Past midnight. On the 17th floor, where supposedly the German chancellor was staying. Very, very loudly. It was fun. Announcement the following morning: teenagers are forbidden on the 17th floor past 10 at night. A very successful visit I would say... Then on Friday (I have no idea which day of the conference this was) we had a free day where some of us went and rode elephants. Personally, I prefer camels. A much smoother ride. The next we had a ball, which was interesting. Following the ball (which ended around midnight) about 10 of us went off and talked for a couple hours. It got silly, but was fun nevertheless. The following morning one of us failed to get up. The following night a bunch of us went off to the movie theater and watched the Bourne Ultimatum, which was kinda cool, though I was ready to kill the person who filmed it for making it shake so much by the time it ended. The taxi there was very full (there are strange taxis in Chiang-Mia, they are sorta like covered up pick-up trucks with seats in the back), and everyone freaked when I elected to hang onto the back rather than crowd into a space designed for 10 people that had 16 in it. Quite surprising to me, as I assumed most mks would be used to that. Anway, we had fun. The following night was the last night of the conference, so we all headed to Joel's room (one of the leaders...probably the coolest) and stayed up fairly late, intending to pull an all-nighter. I left at around 2:30 because all the people I liked to talk to had already gone to bed. I don't think anyone else bothered to stay up all night either though, most everyone went to bed by 3 or so. Anyway it was fun, I had a great time, and I only wish it had lasted longer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Graham said...

hang on2 the back of a pickup truck? A9di! What the **** is ur problem? i can just hear Andry now. lol. Sounds like fun. I would love blowing things up 4 an ambasador. Just the kind of thing that is needed to liven those old fogies lives up.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

no, it wasn't quite like a pickup truck...that was just the closest thing I could think to liken it to. the back looked as if it was designed to be stood on, there were convenient handholds, and a platform about a foot long. Probably could have fit at least five people on it without difficulty.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Ruth Cox said...

so cool to hear all about your time The Thai Land. That poor chancellor and you naughty, naughty boy :)

its great to have you writing again!!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Graham said...

yeah, I still go with what I said about Andry though. Vulgar, and funny in the extreme.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

man, you barely mention me. . .only in that one post about picking out a shirt!! sheesh, you know your trip was all about me!!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home