Monday, June 11, 2007

Florida

After an 11 hour car trip I have finally arrived in Florida. It is hot and humid, but fortunately there is often air-conditioning to combat the heat. Unfortunately, some buildings rather overcompensate.... Ah well. Such are the dangers of being in America. Yesterday I worked to set up my uncle Fred's internet connection, and due to a mysterious problem with the password, was forced to call tech support. Very embarrassing. The person at tech support was fairly competent, though she went through the individual steps in mind-bogglingly precise detail, which drove me nuts. Oh well, at least it worked afterwards.
My nine year-old cousin came to visit yesterday. She has now grown out of the stage where she feels comfortable jumping on me and doing other similar actions, and instead acted quite "civilized." I was rather bored when she came over, and I found it amusing to treat her to several discourses, on various random subjects, and she eventually labeled me "weird." Ah well, such is life. I rather suspect that most, if not all, of the readers of this blog have termed me weird at one point or another. Another interesting thing that happened yesterday was a trip to the library. After spending about an hour looking through, we finally picked about thirty, and then proceeded to try to check them out. No go. Apparently, my mom's library card had expired. Since they needed some proof that we actually lived in Florida, we were forced to return home. My mom then attempted to borrow my uncle Fred's library card, but his had been suspended. So eventually we just went back to the library, and tried quite hard to get the card renewed, and in the end the librarian took pity on us and gave us a one-month renewal. Very useful, because we intend to be gone well before the month is up. So we went home happy.
Today, I was forced to get up very early to go to church. We had to leave by 7:15. So of course my mom wakes me up at 6:30. Very annoying, as I had hoped to sleep until at least 6:50. I can never quite figure out why she imagines it takes us as long to get ready to go as long as it takes her. So anyway, I get up, eat breakfast, change, and read my book for about 20 minutes until we finally leave, and then I get another hour and a half to read my book as we head to church. When we get there, Justin and I decide to skip the first service and Sunday school, so I get another 2.5 hours to read my book. Though the service wasn't too bad, I can't really say it was worth the wait. Oh well. After the service, we got lunch at a fairly nice restaurant, and then headed home. My dad had planned to drag us to the evening service, but thankfully there was enough time between lunch and it that he managed to drop Justin and I off. Very fortunate, as the idea of staying out till 9 didn't really appeal to me. A very packed two days.

6 Comments:

Blogger Graham said...

haha! you had to call tech support! thats so funny! was this for a windows or for a mac? it would have been even funnier had you had to call for a mac...

What are you reading? Anything good? Its interesting how they have so many services in America. I don't entirely understand it all.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

it was for windows....
I've been reading the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist, it's a rather good fantasy series about a war between two worlds. I am also reading Heretics of Dune, and so far it seems pretty good, though I am only about a hundred pages into it.
On Sundays large churches generally have three services, two in the morning and one at night. Sunday school normally occurs between the two morning services.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Graham said...

lol.

wait... fantasy with different worlds is usually called Science Fiction... This explains the tech support call.

Three services... wow. ours had 2 and I thought that was bad...

7:58 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey said...

Its definitely fantasy...half the people in it use magic, and the two main characters are expert mages.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Graham said...

between planets? weird... cool though I guess. It sounds like two books I read by Julian May. I forget what the first one was called, but the second one is called the Golden Torc. They are a bit raunchy, but its both magic and SF.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should read this.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home